Chiropractic Treatments are Important If You Work from a Sitting Position
Sitting down at work is something that a very high percentage of Americans do every day. Around 70% of Americans sit for a minimum of 6 hours each day during work, leisure and their commute. For Americans who sit for the duration of their time at work – which averages around 8.8 hours a day, 5 days a week – the actual number of hours they sit each day can be much higher.
You may not think that there’s much of a problem with the familiar, comfortable and practical act of working from a sitting position but sitting for prolonged periods of time can cause major issues.
When you regularly spend hours in a sitting position a lot of things start to happen to your body. Your legs will start to weaken, you may begin to gain weight and start to suffer from depression or anxiety. Other serious health problems like an increased risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease are also associated with sitting. These are just a handful of the consequences of sitting down all day!
Thankfully, there are some solutions, such as taking regular breaks to walk around and stretch and using a sit-stand desk. Another solution to overcome health problems already brought on by sitting and to prevent issues in the future, is to visit a chiropractor.
Chiropractic treatment can do much more for the body than what most people realize!
Here are three amazing reasons to book regular appointments with a chiropractor if you spend most of your working day sitting down:
Reason One: Chiropractic Is a Form of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
As you might imagine, many problems with working from a sitting position are associated with the neck and back regions. However, these are not the only areas affected by sitting or the only problem areas chiropractic treatment can help with.
One of the main reasons why people sit down to work is to type at a computer, which is thought to cause or increase the risk of a person developing carpal tunnel syndrome. Repetitive wrist maneuvers may cause the painful condition, where the median nerve is compressed, resulting in numbness and tingling/burning sensations. The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety has listed office workers who use a keyword and mouse as at risk for developing the condition.
There are a number of chiropractic treatments, such as wrist exercises, that can help people with carpal tunnel syndrome to find relief from discomfort.
- A chiropractor can advise patients on a range of exercises to promote better health and flexibility across their entire bodies, including in their wrists.
- Visiting a chiropractor is also one of the best ways to permanently improve posture, which can lead to reduced wrist and hand strain and a lower risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Soft tissue work and adjustments are two further chiropractic treatments that can be very effective at improving posture, and in turn, preventing carpal tunnel syndrome.
Reason Two: Sitting Causes Neck and Back Stress
Another reason to visit a chiropractor regularly is for neck and lower back pain treatment in Chicago. Spending many hours sitting put the discs and muscles in your neck and back under a significant amount of stress. By maintaining the same sitting position for a long time, the hips flexors become tighter, blood flow reduces, and your spine suffers.
If you allow your posture to slip while you’re sitting, it can cause the ligaments in your spine to stretch and increase strain on the discs. After sitting for a long time, you may start to feel the occasional pain in your back or neck, but after a while the repeated damage to your spine can make the pain almost permanent – at least until you visit a chiropractor!
- Sitting at a desk and not moving for hours on end is unnatural for the spine, so pain will continue, and the problem may get worse without intervention. Much like preventing carpal tunnel syndrome, preventing back and neck pain starts with improving posture, which will help to reduce damage by stretching and strengthening key muscles.
- Chiropractic lower back and neck pain treatment in Chicago can slow down the progression of pain and sometimes even stop it completely to deliver long-lasting relief. Manipulation, adjustment, decompression and muscle stimulation therapy are just a small number of the many chiropractic treatments available to treat back and neck pain.
- You may be surprised to discover just how effective chiropractic can be for relieving pains in your neck and back that you’ve become accustomed to after years of work from a sitting position!
Reason Three: Regular Sitting Requires Regular Appointments
Last but not least: you need to attend chiropractic appointments on a regular basis to maintain the results. If you visit a few times, gain relief and then go right back to sitting without achieving any lasting changes, the results will soon fade, and the pain will return.
Chiropractors strive to provide patients with long-lasting relief by addressing the root cause of problems. Over time, a chiropractor will help you to improve how you sit to lower the risk of problems occurring and greatly reduce the chance of wrist, back or neck pain occurring again.
Whether its permanent changes to your posture, exercises to improve your muscle strength or adjustments to give you pain relief, a chiropractor is the best person to see if you work from a sitting position.
If you live in Chicago and you’re looking for a great chiropractor, you need to contact Advanced Spine & Sports Care. Our chiropractors have been treating the consequences of prolonged sitting – plus countless other causes of back, neck and hand pain – for many years.
It only takes a few minutes to book an appointment with us – either by phone or by filling in the contact from on our website – and the results of treatment could prevent and relieve years of pain.
Last Updated on 18 December, 2019 by Chiropractic Sports Care